08 November 2006

Xubuntu Edgy Eft installation

The download is done, the md5sum is good and finally I got my chance to replace SUSE with Xubuntu in my Compaq Presario 2500, a laptop with a 2,6 GHz P4 processor and 736 MB of RAM. For me there is nothing new in Xubuntu installation procedure, I've used Ubuntu since 5.04.



But a problem occur, I got stuck on the manual partition config. Later I know that there is a bug when selecting to do a manual config of the partitions. Even if you select a root partition it throws an warning that no root partition has been selected. Thus causing you to never get past the screen.



In SUSE, I use /dev/hda9 as / and /dev/hda8 as /home, but somehow I can't get this config done. Informed by this post I try to format those partitions using



sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda9

sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda8



I start the installation wizard again and my problem solved.



Now Xubuntu is up and running, this is my first time using Xubuntu daily and so far it run faster than my previous distro.





Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy. That was helpful.

I wanna know something.
After selecting the root partition and after the ubuntu installation; will there be any damage on the other FAT32 drives? bcoz, I'm running winXP in the same machine and I want both of them.

I created a seperate drive (linux ext3) and a swap partition. I only want Xubuntu to be installed on that partition leaving other partitons uharmed.

Is it possible?